Baked bacon wrapped asparagus is a fairly common recipe, but often times the asparagus is soft before the bacon has had the chance to crisp up. Yuck, who wants soggy bacon? I was on a mission to avoid this, and am pleased to report that I found a way!
The key to getting the bacon extra crispy is to allow for more air flow around the bacon, which I accomplished by making four adjustments. First, I cut the bacon slices lengthwise, creating extra narrow strips, and wrapped them in a pinstripe pattern around the asparagus, so that the edges of the bacon strip didn’t overlap each other too much. Second, instead of a regular baking sheet, I used a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet. Third, I flipped the asparagus halfway through baking to encourage more even cooking. Finally, I broiled the asparagus for a couple of minutes at the end to get the bacon extra crisp. The result was crispy bacon and a beautiful presentation, thanks to the “pinstriped” pattern.
These make a wonderful side dish, or you could cut the asparagus in half to make shorter appetizers. You can even prepare these a day in advance and refrigerate until you’re ready to pop them in the oven.
- 24 stalks Asparagus (trimmed)
- 12 slices Bacon (center cut preferred)
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place an oven-safe wire rack (either greased or non-stick) onto a cookie sheet.
- Trim the woody ends of the asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper to taste. (You don’t need a lot of oil, just enough for the salt and pepper to stick.)
- Cut the bacon slices lengthwise to make narrower strips. Wrap each bacon strip tightly around an asparagus stalk, only slightly overlapping the bacon on each stalk (it will shrink during cooking, creating a “striped” pattern). Place seam side down onto the wire rack.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Use tongs to turn over. Bake for 10-15 minutes more, until the bacon is almost crispy. Set the oven to broil, then place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to crisp up more.
Net carbs per piece: 0.7g