These Raspberry Filled Coconut Caves are such a cute and colorful treat. What’s more, they are filled with delicious ingredients that boost your health.
Health Benefits of Raspberries
These ruby red berries aren’t just a tasty way to amp up your yogurt or oatmeal bowl. Adding raspberries to your diet also enhances your health in the following ways:
- Improves memory and delays age-related cognitive decline
- Lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Potassium content in raspberries promotes heart health
- Chock-full of antioxidants that protect the body from free radical damage and prevent cancer
- Full of fiber, which is good for aiding digestion
- Vitamin C content in raspberries contributes to eye health
- Vitamin C also contributes to skin health
Recipe for Weight Loss
In addition to the above, the combination of raspberries, coconut oil and dates makes this an ideal recipe if you’re looking to shed some pounds.
Raspberries are an ideal food for weight loss. According to Livestrong.com, “Raspberries are fat free and full of fiber. High-fiber foods take longer for the body to digest, making you feel fuller longer. The insoluble fiber found in raspberries helps keep the body regular, which also promotes weight loss.”
Furthermore, coconut oil is composed of medium chain fatty acids that boost metabolism, reduce appetite and help you burn more calories leading to weight loss.
Dates can also be a weight-loss friendly food as they, too, are high in fiber. In addition, theirglycemic index is much lower than that of table sugar making them a healthy choice for sweetening your food. However, they are still high in calories so they must be eaten in moderation in order to reap the health benefits.
Try these delicious Coconut Caves for yourself. They make for a sweet guilt-free snack that will leave you feeling better in more ways than one!
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at jennymustard.com.
Raspberry Filled Coconut Caves
Serves: 10 pieces
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cool time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 100 ml / 0.4 cup raspberries ( fresh or frozen )
- 150 ml / 0.6 cup tofraiche ( find recipe in my cookbook ), or plain organic soy yogurt (unsweetened )
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- 2-3 tsp agave or maple syrup
- 100 ml / 0.4 cup almonds
- 300 ml / 1.25 cup shredded coconut
- 100 ml / 0.4 cup dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- a splash of water, if needed
- Gently heat the coconut oil until liquid.
- Mix the ingredients for the raspberry filling until smooth. Give it a taste and sweeten it more if needed. Thicken the filling by letting it sit in a coffee filter in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Mix the almonds until grainy in a food processor or blender. Add the remaining ingredients for the coconut caves and mix until the mass holds together nicely without being too crumbly. you might need to add a tiny bit of water.
- Roll the almond mix to small balls and make an indentation with your thumb on each.
- Fill the caves with raspberry mix using a spoon, piping bag, or plastic bag with one corner cut off.