Love pizza, but not the carbs?!
You’ve gotta try making pizza dough out of cheese and almond flour! It tastes great, is keto-friendly, low carb, gluten-free, and happens to be super simple method using just a few main ingredients. Plus, I like that the texture is chewy like normal pizza dough, and sturdy enough to pick up a piece to eat!
Fat Head Pizza is a very popular low-carb recipe idea online and also happens to be a favorite among several of my fellow sidekicks, so I was excited to try it out!
“Fat Head” Low-Carb Pizza Crust
- 3/4 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 and 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Desired pizza toppings (tomato paste or sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc.)
1.) Combine almond flour and mozzarella cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Add in cream cheese and cook for one minute. Stir, and cook for additional 30 seconds in microwave.
2.) Mix in egg, salt, and Italian seasoning, and stir.
3.) Shape dough into a ball and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
4.) Use a rolling pin on top of parchment paper to roll dough in a circular shape. (Mine was more of an oval.)
5.) Remove the top parchment paper and slide dough onto a baking sheet or pizza stone. Bake at 425 degrees in the oven for 12-14 minutes until slightly browned.
6.) Add any desired pizza toppings and sauce you’d like to the top of the crust. (Keep in mind, if using raw meat you’d want to cook it first before putting on pizza.) Continue cooking in oven for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- I diced bell peppers, and mushrooms and sauteed them first on the stove before topping my pizza, but that’s just personal preference.
- I’ve read that you can substitute 1/4 cup of coconut flour instead of almond flour, but haven’t tried it yet.
- Next time I may try flipping pizza crust over half way through baking for a more evenly cooked crust.
- You can divide pastry and make smaller personalized pizzas!
- This pastry would make delicious “garlic bread”!
No joke ~ this pizza is YUMMY! We liked the taste and texture better than cauliflower pizza!