Creamy low carb coconut cheesecake with a delicious gluten-free macadamia nut crust. What a way to ring in National Cheesecake Day!
So when I saw that my friend Roxana of Roxana’s Home Baking was organizing bloggers for Cheesecake Day, I believe my first words were “Hellz Yeah!”. And you know it’s true: hellz yeah is the only appropriate response to an invitation to take part in National Cheesecake Day. Normally I pay little mind to these made up food holidays but cheesecake is a very important part of my life and I must honour it appropriately. Not only must I honour it, but I must bow before it as the ultimate low carb dessert. I mean, it’s cake, but it’s made with cheese and eggs and cream. As long as you can alter the crust and replace the sweetener, it’s an easy low carb makeover and it looks, tastes and feels just like the real thing. It IS the real thing, because let’s face it, using other sweeteners and making a nut crust is not making a fake cheesecake. It’s making a real and yet a healthier cheesecake. Rock on, dude!
The nice part about this little celebration is that we are doing it simply for the love of cheesecake. It’s not sponsored by anyone, we didn’t ask any brands to participate. We just have 80 or so bloggers creating delicious cheesecake recipes and posting them on the same day. Although I suspect that I am the only low carb, gluten free blogger on the list, I’d definitely encourage you to check out the other amazing creations from my fellow bloggers. At the very least, you will come away with some cheesecake inspiration!
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 3 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil or melted butter (I used macadamia nut oil)
- 1 & 1/2 lbs cream cheese (3 8-ounce packages), softened
- 3/4 to 1 cup Swerve Sweetener, depending on how sweet you like it
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk (canned), room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or coconut extract
- 1/2 cup large flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 325F and wrap the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan in foil.
- In a food processor, process macadamia nuts on high until coarsely chopped.
- Add coconut, sweetener and salt and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (it may begin to clump together because of the high oil content of the macadamias).
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and add oil or melted butter. Stir to combine well. Press mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until just beginning to brown around the edges. Remove and let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on medium until smooth. Beat in sweetener until well combined.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl and beaters as needed. Then beat in coconut milk, vanilla extract and coconut extract until smooth.
- Brush the sides of the springform pan with a little oil or melted butter and then pour the filling over the cooled crust.
- Place springform pan on a cookie sheet and place on the center rack on the oven. On the rack below, place a large baking dish filled with water.
- Bake 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes, or until edges are set and center just barely jiggles when shaken. Remove and let cool completely.
- Run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan and remove sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 or 4 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream, sweetener and extract until stiff peaks form. Spread over chilled cheesecake.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut (I simply toasted mine in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking until coconut was lightly browned).
Serves 16. Each serving has 8.91 g of carbs and 4.32 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4.59 g.
Food energy: 422kcal Saturated fatty acids: 26.04g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 11.21g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.24g Total fat: 38.48g Calories from fat: 346 Cholesterol: 92mg Carbohydrate: 8.91g Total dietary fiber: 4.32g Protein: 6.44g Sodium: 200mg