Each time I make this coconut pie crust my friend said it is the best gluten free pie crust they ever had! Good news is, this easy pie crust can be made with basics ingredients that every healthy foodies have in their pantry like dessicated coconut, coconut oil and coconut flour. It is a very simple recipe that you can use as a base for a savoury pie or a sweet pie. You can find others healthy pie recipes on the blog that can be made with this coconut pie crust. I personally use this recipe very often to make my favourite gluten free desserts: a sugar free lemon pie or a sugar free apple pie recipe.
COCONUT PIE CRUST AN HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST
This coconut crust is gluten free and also perfect for someone following a diabetic diet as it does not contains much carbs. Make sure to use unsweetened shredded coconut though! Coconut is usually unsweetened in New Zealand but not in US. It worth to double check if you are watching your sugar intake or if you are a diabetic.
It is a very easy pie crust recipe.
You simply need a food processor to combine all the ingredients together and form a dough. It could be a bit crumbly at first. In this case gather all the crumble with your hand and press firmly to form a ball like in the picture below.
After few attempts I noticed that this crust is easier to remove from the pan when using a removable bottom round pie pan. I am now using the pan below to make this crust : Non-Stick 9-Inch Round Pan with Removable Bottom.
Below you will find the steps by steps pictures to reproduce this recipe. I used plastic wrap to enclose the dough while rolling into a thin crust. It avoids the crust to stick to the roller.
- 2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal Flour,
- 1/4 cup Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 eggs, size 6
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour.
- 1 tbsp Natvia Natural Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- Pour all the ingredient into a food processor.
- Blend until a crumble is forming.
- With your hands gather the crumble to form a ball of dough.
- It will stick and hold perfectly together.
- Place the dough ball between plastic wraps.
- Press with your hand and then start rolling until thin about 0.5 cm thickness.
- Transfer onto a 26 cm pie mould greased with butter or coconut oil.
- Prebake at 170 C for 20-30minutes or until golden brown.
- If you are using a filling that need to be bake like pumpkin filling, add it in the pre baked crust and return to the oven until filling is set.
- If cold filling is used like custard, wait until the crust is fully cool down before adding anything inside.
- Always unmold carefully after at least 3-4 hours of cooling process. This crust is very fragile so use a loose bottom pan and grease very well with butter or coconut oil.
- Perfect to make a pumpkin pie, apple pie or any other sweet pie.